Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fishy Doings

So the house is reeking of vinegar just now. Remember that cookbook I mentioned previously? Yeah, the one with the garam masala recipe in it. Well, turns out it also has a recipe for pickled fish. There is only one person in this house who eats pickled fish, and wouldn't you know it -- he decided that he just had to have some.

We had a bag of pan fish in the freezer that I've been meaning to fry up for some time. Lucky little fishies -- they got picked for the experiment. The old man has Mondays off, so he got it started with the thawing and the brining.

And then I took over. As a result, the house smells like vinegar, and I've got a plastic pail full of fish, lemons, and onions waiting for their new bath. They still have their tails and fins on. Yuck!

If this isn't love, I ask you: what is?

1 comment:

  1. 4 bucks for a jar of pickled herring doesn't sound that bad after all. Thanks for posting this trial of error so that we don't have to do it ourselves! I think you might want to do a quick edit for those "not approved for indoors" recipes! ☺☺

    Justin

    ReplyDelete